June 2, 2019 - The Annual NBSHF Induction and Awards Dinner continues to be a major community event. The 39th Annual Induction and Awards Dinner for the North Bay Sports Hall of Fame was held on May 4, 2019 at the Davedi Club. The 2019 Inductees were: Erin Grigg (Gymnastics), John McClelland (Curling), Taylor Milne (Track and Field, Cross Country) and Mike Yeo (Hockey). Sixteen Sport Awards were also handed out to 14 recipients and 3 teams.
Over the past year the NBSHF Board has been busy with a number of projects along with the Annual Dinner. These include:
- The North Bay Bay Sports Hall of Fame has been honouring the best in North Bay sports for 40 years and to celebrate has completed a unique book that relates a number of local sports history tales that cover more than one hundred years in time as well as honouring Hall inductees and showcasing over 300 heritage sports photographs.
- The NBSHF is close to finishing work on the North Concourse of Memorial Gardens. All of the memberís plaques, photo showcases, and some memorabilia displays are now in this location as well as the Lounge area. The NBSHF will be adding 4 new large photos in the next few weeks.
- The North Bay Bay Sports Hall of Fame has been honouring the best in North Bay sports for 40 years and to celebrate has completed 2 unique books - They Were Our Heroes and Flash Backs that relate a number of local sports history tales that cover more than one hundred years in time as well as honouring Hall inductees and showcasing a large number of heritage sports photographs. These books are still available. Contact Peter Handley if interested at 705-472-3573.
- A new sport banner project was completed this year to add to the decor of the walls in the Concourse. A series of colourful vinyl banners represent the sports that are currently represented by the members of the Hall.
- As part of its mandate to preserve North Bayís sporting history, the NBSHF is interested in borrowing heritage sports photos in order to scan and archive them as well as present them to the public in the form of photo displays. We currently have over 7000 scanned photos. If you have any historic photos that you would be willing to loan to the NBSHF contact Brent Pigott at 705-495-1463 or Pete Handley at 705-472-3573. The photos will be scanned into our system and the originals will be returned to you. We are also interested in displaying sporting artifacts in our showcases at Memorial Gardens. If you are willing to loan or donate such items to the NBSHF, please contact either of the above. Our latest contribution came from the Ken Wharram Family and is on display in the showcase next to the elevator at the Gardens.
The NBSHF has been in operation since 1977 and is always looking for valid individuals to induct into the hall. If you feel someone in your organization, or someone you know, is worthy of being considered, please find an application form and other information you require on this website. You could also contact NBSHF Chair Bill Jacko at 705-476-1429 or Secretary Pete Handley at 705-472-3573 for further information or an application form.
The NBSHF continues to try to stay in touch with NBSHF Inductees. So that we can start to send out our notices electronically, inductees are asked to please forward your email address to email@example.com. Any biography updates, errors or omissions in the website biographies should be directed to Brent Pigott at the same email address listed above.
The Board of Directors of the North Bay Sports Hall of Fame regretfully announces the passing away of NBSHF Members: Ray Foisy, Joan Euler, Betty Boyer Sim, Bill Curry and Danny Wilkes. We would like to extend deepest sympathies to their families.